A Lauki Chana Dal is a simple and nutritious curry made with bottle gourd and Bengal gram lentils and which is very popular in all regions of India.
On a real busy day, it’s extremely easy to make it as a one pot meal and It can be made either in pressure cooker or Instant Pot.
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1 tsp ginger grated
- 2-3 pods of garlic grated
- 2 green chills chopped finely
- 1 medium tomato chopped finely
- 1 medium sized lauki (bottle guard)
- ¼ cup chana dal (Bengal gram dal)
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- 4 cups water
- Salt to taste
- Cilantro chopped for garnishing
- Grate ginger.
- Grate garlic.
- Chop the green chilies finely.
- Chop the tomatoes.
- Dice the lauki (bottle guard) into cubes.
- Wash the channa dal and keep it aside.
- Heat ghee in a pressure cooker.
- Add cumin seeds.
- Add grated ginger, garlic, green chili and chopped tomato and fry for another 2 – 3 minutes.
- Now, add lauki (bottle guard) and fry for a minute.
- Finally, add the chana dal (bengal gram), turmeric powder and salt to taste
- Add 4 cups of water and close the lid. Pressure cook until done - 3 whistles on high heat and 3 on low heat.
- Remove the pressure cooker from heat and let it cool down and let the pressure release.
Directions for Seasoning
- heat ghee in a pan.
- Once the ghee is hot, add cumin seeds and heing (asafoetida)and let them crackle for a few mints.
- Add red chili powder, garam masala and pour the seasoning over the cooked dal.
- Add chopped cilantro and lemon juice to enhance the flavor.
- Open the lid and pour the seasoning on top.
- Garnish cilantro and squeeze lemon juice.
- This curry is now ready and perfect to enjoy with roti or rice!