There is nothing as satisfying and comforting as a delicious paratha stuffed with your favorite vegetable! There are so many different variations of stuffed parathas, but this one is something that you all must try for sure! Peas paratha!!
This delicious Indian whole wheat flat bread is stuffed with mashed green peas and spices and roasted in hot pan with oil or ghee. This paratha has a beautiful green color to it, a complete meal which is served with some spicy pickle and a bowl of plain yogurt.
So, try out this amazing paratha recipe and enjoy it with your family and friends!
Ingredients for Paratha Dough
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp oil
- 1/2 to 1/4 cup water for kneading
Ingredients for Peas Stuffing
- 2 tbsp cooking oil,
- 1 tsp fennel seeds (saunf)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (whole jeera)
- 1/4 tsp heing (asafetida)
- 2 Cup frozen peas (matar)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin pd (jeera)
- 1 tsp coriander powder (dhania)
- 1 tsp mango powder (amchur)
- 1 Tbsp gram flour (besan)
- 2 green chilies chopped finely
- A small piece of grated ginger
- Salt to taste
- First, take whole wheat flour, salt and 2 tsp oil in a mixing bowl or pan.
- Mix very well.
- Add 2 tsp oil as you are mixing.
- Add 1/2 cup water and begin to knead.
- Add more water if required while kneading.
- Knead to a soft and smooth dough.
- Cover and keep aside for 10 mins.
- Boil the peas in the microwave for 4 minutes
- Cool it for 10 minutes
- Once it’s cold, grind the green peas in a mixer adding very little water to make a thick paste
- Heat oil in a pan
- When the pan is hot, add cumin seeds, fennel seeds and asafetida (heing)
- When the seasoning splutters, add crushed green chilies, and ginger and sauté for 2 mints
- Add the pea paste and continue to sauté
- Sprinkle some water and keep stirring at regular intervals to avoid burning
- Add turmeric, paprika, cumin and coriander powder amchur(mango) powder
- Mix nicely and cook the peas paste for another few minutes
- Add gram flour (besan), mix and cook for few more minutes
- Remove and cool the paste
Rolling Peas Parathas
- Take the dough and knead it one more time
- Take 2 small balls and dust them with whole wheat flour
- Roll each of them to a round of 2 to 3 inches in diameter
- Place the green peas stuffing on one of the rolled round
- Cover with the second one and seal the edges firmly
- Sprinkle some wheat flour on both sides
- Roll gently to a paratha of about 5 to 6 inches. Sprinkle flour as required while rolling
Roasting Peas Paratha
- Heat a tawa and let it become hot
- Place the peas paratha on the hot tawa
- On a medium to high flame, begin to roast the paratha
- When one side is slightly golden, then flip the paratha and cook on the other side
- Spread some oil or ghee on top and flip the paratha again
- Now spread some oil or ghee on this side too
- The paratha will start puffing up and make a sizzling noise as its roasting
- Press the paratha edges with a spatula so that it cooks evenly
- Keep flipping till the pea’s paratha is evenly cooked and has golden blisters on top
- Serve peas paratha hot with a dollop of butter, pickle and yoghurt