Aloo Matar Poha (flattened Rice Stir Fry with potatoes and Green Peas)
Poha is nothing but rice that parboiled, pressed to flatten and dried to flakes. This is a little brownish-white in color. It comes in different sizes depending on the pressure given during the process.
Aloo Matar Poha is a simple, tasty, and popular healthy breakfast in many parts of India. Poha is made with minimal ingredients and fewer spices but it tastes absolutely delicious.
It is made by mixing flattened rice(poha), sautéed onions, green chilies, potatoes, peas, with a seasoning of mustard seeds, dry red chili , and curry leaves. Curry leaves add extra flavor, and this is an important ingredient in this recipe.
5 to 10 minutes
Ingredients You Will Require:
- 2 cups poha flattened rice)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp asafetida (heing)
- 1 medium onion diced finely
- 2 green chilies diced finely
- 3-4 curry leaves (kadi patha)
- 1/2 lemon squeezed
- 1/3 cup frozen peas
- 1 small potato diced
- Cilantro chopped
Ingredients for the Garnishing:
- 3 tbsp finely chopped onions
- 3 tbsp finely chopped tomatoes
- 1 green chili chopped finely
- 3 tbsp cilantro chopped
- Wash the poha (flattened rice) thoroughly.
- Keep it aside for 5 minutes so that it will soak water and turns soft.
- Fluff it with a spoon or fork lightly.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet, season mustard seeds, cumin seeds, asafetida, and turmeric.
- When it splutters, add the chopped onions, green chills, and curry leaves.
- Sauté for 5 minutes till the onions become translucent.
- Now add the boiled potatoes and peas.
- Cook for few mins till all the spices mix well.
- Add lemon juice.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with finely chopped onions, tomatoes and slit green chilies.