One of the most popular Middle Eastern food is the “Falafel Sandwich”!
A warm Pita bread stuffed with crispy hot falafel balls, combined with cool and crunchy diced tomatoes, cucumbers, and onions, and drizzled with 2 sauces/dressings which is the best part:
- Lemon Tahini Sauce
- Cucumber Dill Yoghurt Sauce.
All ingredients for this dish are easily found in basic supermarkets. It’s a complete meal and makes a wonderful lunch or dinner.
Ingredients for Spinach Falafel
- 1 can (14 oz) chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 1 tsp garlic chopped
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped spinach
- 1tbsp cumin powder
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 3 tbsp plain flour (for binding)
- salt and pepper to taste
Ingredients for Cucumber and Dill Yoghurt Sauce
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup cucumber finely diced or grated
- 1 small garlic peeled and crushed
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsps. fresh dill chopped finely
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1tsp black pepper
- 2-3 tbsps. Water
Ingredients for Lemon Tahini Sauce
- 3 tbsps. Tahini (trader joe’s) or any store
- 3 tbsps. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 2 tbsps. warm water
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp pepper
Ingredients for Stuffing in Pita Bread
- 4 pita bread
- 2 cup romaine lettuce chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes chopped
- 1 small red onion chopped
- Cilantro chopped
Direction for Falafel
- Pulse all the above ingredients coarsely in a food processor.
- Take it out in a bowl and mix it will.
- Form the mixture into medium balls
- Spray olive oil and place them in the Air Fryer until golden and crisp. Keep it aside.
- You can freeze these falafels or store it in the refrigerator for a week.
Directions for Yoghurt Sauce
- Peel the cucumber and grate it.
- Mince the garlic.
- Juice the lemon.
- In a small bowl, stir ln all the ingredients of the yoghurt sauce.
- Add water and mix it till the sauce is thick and creamy.
- You can store this sauce in refrigerator up to 1 week.
Directions for Lemon Tahini Sauce
- Combine all the ingredients of the Tahini sauce in a bowl and whisk together.
- Add little water to thin the dressing up so that it’s easy to drizzle on top of the pita.
- Since this sauce has a lovely creamy consistency, you can use it as a salad dressing as well.
- This recipe is vegetarian, vegan, gluten free and plant based.
- Warm up the pita.
- Spread a generous layer of hummus on both sides.
- Layer the bottom pita with lettuce, tomatoes, onions.
- Top it up with spinach falafel.
- Drizzle with Cucumber Dill yoghurt sauce and lemonTahini sauce.
- The Falafel sandwich is ready!